EHS banner

The Wallop School Museum (1800)

The Wallop School Today
The Wallop School Museum following completion of a multi-year restoration.

The Wallop School Today
Interior of the restored Wallop School Museum.

250 Abbe Road
Enfield, CT 06082 USA

Phone (860) 745-6064

Open one Sunday per month, June through September, 2:00 P.M. to 4:30 P.M. and other times by appointment.  Check the calendar of events for this year's dates.  To arrange for a tour, please e-mail or write to the Enfield Historical Society at the address above.  Admission is free.

The Wallop School was one of the last one-room school houses in use in Connecticut.  The original structure, probably of wood, was built in 1754.  It was in that year that the local citizens voted to establish school districts.  In about 1800 the original structure was destroyed by fire and replaced by the present one-room brick building.  The new school housed several different grade levels.  It operated continuously until 1947, when its only teacher became ill.

The Wallop School
A view of the Wallop School in 1909 with the teacher and students posed for the camera 

A fire in 1959 severely damaged the unused structure.  Anxious to obtain a meeting place, the Enfield Historical Society gained possession of the remaining ruins in 1961.  After completing repairs, the Society opened the Wallop School Museum to the public.  More recently, the Society completed a multi-year restoration of the school, carefully and lovingly recreating the atmosphere and character of the school during its last years as an active school. 

Tours of the Wallop School Museum are conducted by alumni of one room schools, who love to share their school experiences and stories.